- "Balance is my thing."
- ―Daniel LaRusso[src]
- Peak Human Condition: Daniel LaRusso, as a karateka and former soccer player, is at the peak of human physical condition. He can execute the crane technique; it is an extreme feat of athleticism for any fighter to leap off one foot (already bearing all their body weight) to deliver an effective strike with that same foot. LaRusso was inducted into the Fictitious Athlete Hall of Fame in 2018, along with Rocky Balboa, Crash Davis, Ricky "Wild Thing" Vaughn, Roy Hobbs, Happy Gilmore, Reggie Dunlop, the Hanson brothers, Apollo Creed, Benny Rodriguez, Charlie Conway, Bobby Boucher, Forrest Gump, Willie "Mays" Hayes, Dottie Hinson, Paul "Wrecking" Crewe, Clubber Lang, "Fast" Eddie Felson, Ivan Drago, Al Bundy, Homer Simpson, and Johnny Lawrence.
- Peak Human Strength: Daniel chopped a row of ice sheets and broke all six pieces by focusing and using Miyagi's breathing exercise, a feat which Miyagi had no doubt he would be able to perform. He defeated Chozen, who managed to kick off part of a stone statue. He was able to break through wood and break a man's nose. He was also able to front sweep Terry Silver and flip Mike Barnes.
- Peak Human Reflexes: Daniel caught a fly with chopsticks, which Miyagi had never accomplished. Miyagi also believed that Daniel could have blocked a punch thrown by Sato. He also dodged a swinging hammer blade.
- Peak Human Senses: Daniel can adapt to the environment around him and use that to his advantage. He heightened his senses by leaning into the cold during Kangeiko to anticipate the moment before his opponent strikes and he will always be ready, which allowed him to see the exhalation of breath, the twitch of a muscle, and the shift of a stance.
- Peak Human Balance: Daniel was able to balance himself on a stump and practice on a boat. After his first victory, the referee was very impressed and said he showed a lot of poise under pressure. As an adult, he could balance himself on one arm.
- Expert Martial Artist: Daniel LaRusso has a black belt in Miyagi-Do Karate and is a two-time karate champion. Mr. Miyagi helped him to learn defensive blocks and develop unconscious karate techniques with muscle memory through menial chores (including washing and waxing all of his cars, sanding his floors and decks, and painting both sides of his fence and house). He was able to defeat Tommy, Dutch, and Johnny Lawrence (the top student) of Cobra Kai during the 1984 Under 18 All Valley Karate Tournament. He surprised everyone by reaching the semi-finals. His match with Johnny Lawrence was a seesaw battle, with neither able to break through the other's defense. He used a scissor-leg technique to trip Johnny, delivering a blow to the back of the head and giving him a nosebleed. He landed a devastating blow to Johnny's face by assuming the Crane stance to jump and execute a front kick (or a standing bicycle kick), which he observed Miyagi performing on the beach. In Okinawa, Miyagi showed Daniel the secret to his family's karate: a handheld drum that twists back and forth illustrating the "drum technique," a block-and-defense karate move that Daniel began to practice. He was able to defeat Chozen Toguchi (Sato's finest student) during the O-bon festival by deflecting his attacks and landing counter-attacks using the drum technique. Upon returning to Los Angeles from Okinawa, Miyagi taught Daniel his kata. He fought off Dennis and Mike Barnes (who complimented his kick) when they tried to make him sign up for the 1985 karate tournament. Terry Silver trained Daniel for the tournament at the Cobra Kai dojo with a series of brutal, violent, and offensive techniques. He broke a man's nose when he punched him at a nightclub. Miyagi trained Daniel for the tournament, where he performed the kata and defeated Barnes by flipping him to the ground and striking him. As an adult, Daniel took out three criminals (Cruz, Trey, and Derek) and fought against Johnny twice. Together, they defeated goons at a chop shop. Daniel later fought against Chozen and used the pressure point techniques he learned from him against Kreese. Under Daniel's tutelage, his daughter Samantha LaRusso, Robby Keene, Demetri, Chris, and Nathaniel would all become skilled karatekas in their own right.
- Staff Mastery: Daniel is proficient in wielding a bō staff. He skillfully used one during the presentation at Valley Fest. He later used it to fight against Chozen and train with Samantha.
- Expert Businessman: Daniel is a natural salesman. He helped Miyagi set up a bonsai tree nursery. At his first job selling cars, he outsold the owner his first month there by treating people honestly, looking them in the eye, asking for their trust, and earning it. He and Amanda are successful owners of a car dealership and they live in a large home.
- Bilingualism: Daniel speaks fluent English and some Japanese.
- "I still live with the fear, Sam. We all do on some level. I just try to not let it ever win."
- ―Daniel LaRusso[src]
- Indomitable Will:
Cobra Kai: The Way of the Fist
- Strike First: Never wait for the enemy to attack. Striking first is the initial step towards victory. Striking first is about being aggressive.
- Strike Hard: There is only one reason to hit someone. To inflict pain. Striking hard is about giving your all. Put every once of your power behind everything you do. The key to the back thrust kick is making your enemy think you are retreating, but just as they let their guard down, that is when you strike the hardest.
- No Mercy:
The Quicksilver Method
A system of intensive short-term training.
A man can't stand, he can't fight.
A man can't breathe, he can't fight.
A man can't see, he can't fight.
- Hai - Yes
- Karate - Empty Hand
- Konnichiwa - Hello
- Miyagi-do - Way of Miyagi
- Ninjin - Carrots
- Ponzu Toro
- Sayonara - Goodbye
- Te - Hand
- Yanagi/Yanagi Ba - Knife used exclusively for cutting sashimi
|The Karate Kid Franchise|
|The Karate Kid Films|
|The Karate Kid • The Karate Kid Part II • The Karate Kid Part III • The Next Karate Kid • The Karate Kid (2010)|
|Cobra Kai Season One|
|Ace Degenerate • Strike First • Esqueleto • Cobra Kai Never Dies • Counterbalance • Quiver • All Valley • Molting • Different but Same • Mercy|
|Cobra Kai Season Two|
|Mercy Part II • Back in Black • Fire and Ice • The Moment of Truth • All In • Take a Right • Lull • Glory of Love • Pulpo • No Mercy|
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.