Hello! I am Votesmall. I've always been a fan of The Karate Kid since I first saw the film in the fourth grade and I like its three sequels even better. In my opinion, the show Cobra Kai is even better than all the movies. After I got into Karate Kid again following the release of Cobra Kai, I stumbled upon this wiki and decided to fix it up following the show's popularity.
Order of Favorites
- Cobra Kai: This series blew me away! I couldn't even believe how much I loved it. The writers are obviously fans of all the original movies (I *love* how they reference even the movies people hate like 3 and 4) and not only did they write a great tribute to the original movies by showing how there's good and bad in all of the characters, but introduced some very fresh and realistic new characters too! It's just the right blend of old and new, the writing is very realistic, humorous and dramatic and a lot of the themes hit close to home for me. I was surprised at how dark some of these themes got, it's very adult in its execution and I think a lot of people will relate. The only thing that bugs me is that the show seems to bank a little too much on 80s music. Don't get me wrong, I love 80s, but it feels a little forced sometimes. And if I had another complaint, it's how stuff like Game of Thrones keeps getting referenced in season 2. Stuff like that is just going to be dated in a few years. That being said, those are very minor complaints. Season 2 is even better than season 1 and it's shaping up to get better and better!
- The Karate Kid Part III (Very underrated, it's not only got a great heart to it but it's also very entertaining and memorable. I get a kick out of part III, the villains especially. I think it's easy to say that III has the best villains hands down. The main two bads are hilarious, over the top and utterly hateable at the same time while Barnes and his goons are just pure evil yet still somehow funny, especially Snake)
- The Karate Kid Part II (It takes you to new places, I like how you get to know Miyagi's past, the Drum technique is every bit better than the Crane technique, Chozen was a seriously messed up villain and Kumiko is by far my favorite love interest)
- The Next Karate Kid (People seem to hate this one, but I really enjoy it. I think it's cool to see a fresh perspective on training somebody new, and there was a lot of stuff to remember)
- The Karate Kid (1984): Just because I rank it last in the original four doesn't mean I dislike it, I really love it, I just think the sequels are better. You really didn't know the characters in the first movie that well and a lot of parts had pacing issues. That being said it is still a great introduction!
- The Karate Kid (2010) I don't want to say that this is a bad film at all, in fact I think it's a better movie than the original Karate Kid (even then it's still barely even connected, they don't even use Karate) but I'd rather watch the original or its sequels, it's just more entertaining in my eyes. That being said I do love the film, it would have probably done much better if it told its own story in my eyes, it pretty much already did.